Monday, September 6, 2010

Frankenbike 50 done! Uh... kinda sorta...

We got to the Frankedbike 50 fully planning and prepared to ride the whole thing. In fact, we were asked to ride sweep so we commited to it. But my bike had a different idea. (After I announced this project and Jovid decided that he wanted to race, too, I've turned over the "Green Monster" to Jovid to ride and started piecing together something for myself.) Jovid and I got about 3 miles down the road and the lockring for the rear cassette (cog assembly) backed out, not letting me pedal. Crud. Guess the bike didn't like what it saw on the map and tried to chicken out. Fortunately I brought tools. We started walking back to the Start/Finish line (also the halfway point). I caught a ride with Andy's father, and Jovid rode back. Hoping for the best but fearing the worst I broke out the toolbox and went to work on my bike. Whew... that worked! No permanent damage!  The bike was thwarted and I was victorious. Which leads us to rule #1: Don't stay up until 10pm the night before a big ride finishing your bike. (In my defense, however, I sort of had to - nothing was quite working out right).

Jovid waiting for me at the top of one of the climbs.

Time for plan "B". Plan "B" was to hang around and wait for the main group to pass by at the midpoint and ride the last 25 or so miles from that point. Which pretty much worked. We found one guy to patch up - he hit a big rock on a long single track descent and went flying over the handlebars. Then we proceeded on to do a lot of long, hard climbing. Some so steep we had to get off and walk. Jovid commented "I thought this was a bike ride, not a cross country hike". Funny guy!  But what goes up must come down, so down the hill we went. Up and down dirt paths, paved roads, gravel roads. The ride was not easy but definitely fun. We did well, and Jovid rode better than I had anticipated. He descends like a demon! We had a great time. We even met some people who have read about our adventures - thank you!

Jovid drops the hammer on the road

This was a great event with a fantastic turnout. The promoters had only anticipated only about 20 or 30 people to show up. However over 100 people lined up for a chance to test themselves against the severely steep hills at Scioto Trails park. There was a LOT of positive response afterwards. I know I can't wait to do it again next year.

Cyclist Conection was quite helpful in me get my bike together in the 11th hour. A big thanks to them. And defintely a big "Thank you" to everyone who's contributed to the Wounded Warrior Project. And to those who have not contributed, click on this link or the link at the top of the right column.

Thanks again.


  1. Nicely done J.D. and Jovid! Now go get some rest!

  2. I could have tossed in a lock ring tool with the wheels if I thot it wooda helped