Friday, October 1, 2010

Racing starts Sunday! Donations to Wounded Warrior Project start anytime!

Woo-hoo! First race for Cap City Cross series is Sunday in scenic, lovely, Columbus, OH. Big Run Park, actually. Are we excited? Oh heck yeah! Is there a bit of trepidation? Oh HECK YEAH! Why is that? Well, the work schedule has been rather hectic lately so between a week of work work work and no riding, and getting sick last weekend, not much riding (as in, training, or "pretending we could actually possibly maybe kinda-sorta race") has been done.

But that's OK. We are subscribing to the "Training? We don't need no steenkin' training!"  plan. So, we just plan to go out there and nail it.  Um... yeah... right... You don't seem so convinced? Well, that's OK, neither do I.  C'est la vie. Or as Vonnegut would say, "So it goes." And the weather looks OK - PM showers but not all day showers. Which means we'll get muddy in the sunshine! How does this differ from getting muddy in the rain? It takes slightly longer to get soaking wet. Only slightly.

And that plays right in to our tactics. I'm banking on everyone else wanting to stay inside to stay warm & dry, leaving Jovid and I to battle it out for the victory. BUT... this is cyclocross. You are supposed to get muddy. And Wet. And cold. So in reality I don't think such tactics are going to work so well. So it goes.

So what now? We race anyway. Yes, I'd like to think that I am a serious bike-rider-type and was really really in shape. But I'm not. There's more to this life for me than riding my bike. And there's more than just me in my life. So it goes.

I suppose that for the men and women returning from war injured, impared or otherwise harmed one could say "So it goes." But I can not do that. I can say that I can, and need to do something for them. I am hoping you feel the same. If so, please make a donation in time for Sunday's first race here. Or you can mail something to us at:
J.D. Kimple
PO Box 222
Carroll, OH  43112

if you're mailing a check or money order, please make it out to Wounded Warrior Project.

So come out and race with us. Or come out and watch the racing - cyclocross is one of the most spectator-friendly forms of racing there is, with a great family atmosphere. Rad Dogs and Jeni's Ice Cream will be there, so there will be plenty of good eats. Besides, SOMEONE has to heckle us. Why not you?

Thanks for reading. Thanks for helping us get closer to our goal with your contributions to the Wounded Warrior Project. You may not know how much we appreciate each donation but we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment